The Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics is functioning in ADAC & RI., Trichy since 1989.
The Department was started with the following objectives.
- To impart education for B.Sc.(Ag.) and B.Sc. (Hort.) degree programs
- To coach under graduate students for ICAR JRF exams in Plant Sciences
- To conduct Post Graduate students research programs
- To evolve high yielding sodicity tolerant varieties of rice and millets
- To develop inbuilt resistance to both abiotic and biotic stresses in rice to stabilize the yield level
- To produce and distribute nucleus and breeder seeds in different crop varieties.
The Department is functioning with
- a Professor (PBG) and Head
- an Associate Professor (PBG)
- two Assistant Professors (PBG)
- a Professor (Horticultutre)
- an Assistant Professor ( Plant Biotechnology)
- an Assistant Professor (Seed Science and Technology)
All the faculties are well qualified and have undergone advanced trainings in labs in India and abroad. Post Graduate Program was started in this Department during 2014-15. In Post Graduate Program 13 core courses are offered by faculties of this Department. Six allied courses (one each in Biochemistry, Physiology, Computer science and Library and information services, two in Statistics) and two e-courses viz., Disaster management and Agricultural research, research ethics and rural development Programs are offered by faculties sourced from other Departments.
Under Graduate courses are taught in Plant Breeding and Genetics, Seed Science and technology, Biotechnology and Horticulture. UG students are encouraged to pursue carrier in Plant Breeding and Genetics.
Based on the research efforts done in the Department, three high yielding rice varieties (TRY 1, TRY (R) 2 and TNAU Rice TRY 3), one Ragi variety (TRY 1) and one Guava variety (TRY 1), all with good tolerance with sodicity have been released. The rice variety TNAU Rice TRY 3 is very popular among the farming community.