The Department of Agronomy was established in 2011 as a constituent of the Anbil Dharmalingam Agricultural College and Research Institute, Trichy. Until 2011, the Department was a unit under Department of Crop Management and focused on UG programme. Post graduate programme was started during 2015 -16. The department comprises, faculties of Agronomy, Crop Physiology and Food Science and Nutrition.
A vibrant intellectual environment, encompassing both teachers and students, was painstakingly cultivated by the founding generation of the faculty. This is manifested in several ways that make the Department unique. All faculty members participate in the academic programs as well as administrative work. NCC programme were also conducted by the department.
The department has a coordinated programme of teaching, research and extension covering a variety of fields, including crop production, water management, weed management, Integrated farming system etc. The main research focus is on developing agro technologies for profitable crop production in sodic environment. The faculty is also very active in extension programmes, in reaching out to farmers through popular articles in the local press, radio, popular as well as technical books in Tamil and English, Training Programmes, Field demonstration, Farm advisory to visitors etc.
The department also maintains a farm of 34 acres focusing on research and seed production. At present the strength of the faculty includes one Professor, two Associate Professor and four Assistant Professors
- To impart practical knowledge on crop management practices to undergraduate students and to specialize PG students in the field of Agronomy.
- To provide cropping system based agronomic research for sustainable crop production in sodic soil.
- To develop water management technologies for more crop per drop of water in problem soil.
- To prioritize demand driven and resource based research programme with focus on emerging market opportunities.
- To develop contingent crop plan / alternate cropping pattern / diversified farm activities and to undertake problem solving agronomic research.
- To develop cost effective agro-techniques for higher benefits.
- To support the farm agro advisory service for efficient transfer of technology.
- To create, integrate, and share knowledge among students and other stakeholders to enhance agricultural productivity and to sustain the health of land, air and water in salt affected soils.
- To be a pioneering department for Under Graduate and Post Graduate education in Agronomy including Crop physiology and Agricultural Engineering.
- To develop agronomical strategies for enhancing crop and water productivity in salt affected environment
- Post graduate programme in Agronomy was started in 2015-16, with the focus on doing agronomical research and developing technologies in salt affected soils. A vibrant intellectual environment, encompassing both teachers and students, was painstakingly cultivated by the founding generation of the faculty. This is manifested in several ways that make the department unique.
- The department has a coordinated programme of teaching, research and extension. This centre has Nine core faculty trained in different areas of crop production, water management, weed management, integrated farming system etc. The department is establishing contacts with various national and international institutes for advancing in teaching and research.