The National Service Scheme (NSS) unit present at ADAC & RI, Tiruchirappalli since 1992 comes under Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. NSS volunteers strength of this unit is 173. Presently 55 boys and 118 girls are enrolled in NSS programme and undergoing NSS 101 – National Service Scheme (0+1) course. It is a two years programme in four semesters. The overall objective of NSS is “Personality development of the students through community service”. Dr.S.Rathika is in-charge of this NSS unit. Selection of students for enrolling in NSS is voluntary.
NSS volunteers undergo compulsory ‘Special camping programme’ in the adopted village for a period of seven days. During camps, the NSS volunteers are actively involved in the activities viz., cleaning of village surroundings, road sides, temples and ditches, desilting of ponds, tree planting, kitchen and terrace gardening, fire rescue and safety programme, agricultural conference and exhibition, soil health camp, health camp, eye camp, veterinary camp, legal aid camp, empowerment of rural youth programme, awareness procession against alcohol and tobacco, Workshop on ‘Natural Resource Conservation’, Dengu fever awareness rally, Awareness on ‘Traditional Food and Healthy life’, Environmental awareness programme, Sports and games for village children’s, digital learning to the village people, orphanage and old age home visit to provide emotional support, promotion of health awareness, sanitation and human diseases through songs, street play and other community development programme which provide opportunity to understand and relation to the community, identify the needs in the community and to develop solutions, gained skills in mobilizing community participation, social and civic responsibilities, acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
NSS volunteers participated in the regular social service activities like conducting blood donation camps, health awareness camp, environmental awareness camp, tree planting, creating awareness on Clean India Campaign, campus cleaning, self employment programme, visiting and donating goods to nearby orphanage and mental ill homes.
NSS volunteers are participating in the International Yoga Day celebration on 21st June of every year and learning about the benefits of yoga practice. NSS volunteers are also participating and celebrating IndependenceDay, Republic Day, World Earth Day, World Environment Day, International Youth Day, World Women’s Day, World Forest Day, World Meteorological Day, World Blood Donors Day, Youth Awakening Day and Constitution Day, Observance of National Unity week, National Integration week, National Productivity Week and programmes which motivate them to do national duties and services. Finally, NSS programme is to prepare the NSS volunteers for the democratic, self disciplined and self-reliant way of life.
NSS Activities in 2018-19
- Clean and Green Campus programme conducted regularly to clean the class room, in and around the campus
- A massive Plastics free campus – Presentation on effects of plastics was given by NSS Representatives and cleaning work done by the NSS volunteers in the campus
- International Days are celebrated like, World Water Day, World Environment Day, Women’s Day, World Forest Day, Earth Day, Documentary film on ‘Water saving’ importance of environment were prepared by NSS volunteers and shown during this programme.
- Awareness on Road safety, Blood and organ donation, Rally on helmet wearing, S.Ratika,AP (Agronomy) presented a lecture on Parthenium eradication, Campaign on national integration week.
- Campaign on “Mushroom production” – Created awareness on self employment opportunities among NSS volunteers
- International Yoga Day on 21.6.18- Around 425 members of students, NSS volunteers and Staff of the both the colleges were participated the programme and demonstrated the yoga in the college ground.
- Fire safety awareness lecture and Demonstration. More than 300 numbers of staff as well as students were practiced as hands on experiences to control different fire situation.
- Tree planting were done by NSS volunteers around boys hostel
- Best Meme creator social awareness topic were organized and presented prizes for best meme creation
- NSS Co – ordinator presented a lecture on conservation of environment, Water Management.
- On 16.3.2109, As a part of Red Ribbon Club , Organised a Medical awareness camp on B.John Mary, ICTC Counsellor, PHC, Inamkuzhathur delivered lecture on “Women health care” and Mrs. A.Tamil, Director, NPT, Trichy delivered lecture on “AIDS Awareness
- On 23.3.2019 Blood donation camp were organized NSS & NCC unit of ADAC&RI, HC&RI(W), donated 45 units of blood to the Government Hospital.
- VOLS SPL – 2019 a State Level Cultural Meet is held on 10.1.2019 at Bishop Heber College, Trichy-17 and bagged best supporting college award.
- Students were participated state level ChemFest cultural competition for NSS students held at St.Josephs College, Trichy 22.2.19 and bagged best performer award.
- Five NSS Volunteers were participated National Integration camp held at Belgam,Karnataka from 2.19 to 5 .3.19. Bagged first prize in Essay competition.
- As a part of NSS Special Camp was held on 24.5.2018 to 30.5.2018 at Samudram village of Manaparai Block of Trichy District. About 49 girl student volunteers and 28 male student volunteers attended the camp and contributed worth mentioned services to the rural people the following activities are Agricultural Technological Exhibition conducted in the school premises,26 Special lectures were delivered by the scientists of ADAC & RI, Trichy to the farmers of Samudram village.
- About 200 seedlings were planted in the village road sides and other public places by NSS volunteers.
- NSS volunteers conducted a rally on “Environmental Awareness”, Women Empowerment Awareness procession”, “Awareness against Cancer”
- Free eye camp organized in the village with the help of Vasan Eye Hospital,Trichy
- Free Law Camp and Ulavan App Awareness camp by ADA, Manaparai and Team
- A free medical camp was organized by the NSS volunteers. Dr.O.Ajitha, Medical officer, ADAC&RI, Trichy gave consultations and treatment to the village people. About 91 village peoples got benefited from the camp.
- Free veterinary camp was organized. During this camp, 145 livestocks including 35 cows, 20 heifer, 75 goats and 25 kids were given treatment by Dr.Vivek, M.V.Sc., Research Associate, ADAC&RI, Trichy