About the Department
The Department of Social Sciences was started during the year 2005 with the merge of department of Agricultural Extension and Agricultural Economics.
The Department offers various courses in the domain of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension, Agricultural Statistics, Agribusiness Management, Mathematics and Languages to the Under Graduate and Post Graduate agricultural students. In PG the following two degree Programmes, M.Sc (Ag) in Agricultural Extension and Communication and Agricultural Economics are being offered.
|Name of the Programme||M. Sc. (Ag.) Agricultural Extension and Communication|
|Year of start||2015|
- To impart advance education and develop instructional capacity of students in the field of Agricultural Extension and Communication.
- To undertake research studies in extension methodologies, impact of transfer of technology, diffusion and adoption, advances in communication and sociological aspects to solve the problems of farming communities in agriculture and allied sector.
- To coordinate and undertake outreach activities relevant to the Tuticorin/ Tirunelveli districts
- Development of advance farming system based transfer of technology modules in agriculture and allied for the benefit of southern districts of Tamil Nadu.
- Promotion of ICT based ‘e-extension’ services for transfer of Hi-tech and advanced agricultural and allied technologies and agri-business modules in southern districts.
- Main streaming of women in agriculture
- To offer quality education to student communities which enables their carrier to contribute to our national economy.
- Development of extension methodologies and strategies that benefits farming community to solve the agricultural problems.
- Conduct of basic and need based applied research in the field of Agricultural Extension and Communication
|Name of the Programme||M.Sc. (Ag.) Agricultural Economics|
|Year of start||2015|
- To conduct basic and need based applied research in the field of Agricultural Economics, Management and Agribusiness.
- To establish a Centre for Advanced Research in Economics and Rural Development and Entrepreneurship. (CARERDE)
- To teach subjects of Agricultural economics and Agribusiness management to the students of post graduate program and to strengthen research in the concerned subject.
- To serve the farming community in the Southern districts of Tamil Nadu by providing solutions to the real world problem in resource use, planning, agribusiness management and entrepreneurship.
- Development of farming system based business model in agribusiness for the benefit of Southern District of Tamil Nadu.
- To impart advance education and instructional capacity of students in the field of Agricultural Economics.
- To undertake research on production, resource use and marketing of agricultural commodities