The Department had its genesis in the year 1984 This Department has the sub unit disciplines – Agricultural Microbiology, Environmental Science and Biochemistry besides Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry.
The curriculam includes the courses on Fundamentals of Soil Science, Improving soil fertility, Identification of soil problems and their amelioration, Soil pollution mitigation studies, Role of microbes in enhancing nutrition, Biological N fixation, and Pesticide and Crop chemistry for undergraduates and Analytical chemistry, GIS and Remote sensing, Soil mineralogy, Soil resource inventory, Soil physics, Soil Biology and Biochemistry and Soil chemistry studies, Degraded lands and management for Post graduates.
- To impart knowledge on Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry to the students of agriculture in UG and PG programmes
- To conduct applied research for improving the productivity of natural resources in Southern districts (Tirunelveli ,Thoothukudi and Kanyakumari districts)
- To provide transfer of technology and in solving the field level problems in relation to soil health encountered by the farmers of southern districts
- To conduct applied research for improving the productivity of natural resources in Southern districts (Tirunelveli, Thoothukudi and Kanyakumari districts) of Tamil Nadu
- To provide transfer of technology in solving the field level problems in relation to soil health encountered by the farmers of Southern districts
The Department apart from offering UG and PG courses in Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry, Agricultural Microbiology, Environmental Sciences and Biochemistry has made the following achievements and carried out extension activities.