Agricultural Engineering College and Research Institute, Kumulur is the constituent college of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University offering B.Tech. (Agrricultural Engineering) degree to produce the technocrats towards the challenges of population explosion, labour shortage, ethnic energy crisis, food and fuel shortages, intensive resource inventory towards alleviation of poverty and environmental stress. The Agricultural Engineering College and Research Institute was established as a constituent educational institution of the prestigious Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in the academic year of 1972 at Coimbatore. The college was shifted to Kumulur in the year 1992. The campus is at a distance of 25 km from Tiruchirappalli. This campus has been extended in an area of 282.73 acres of experimental farm, updated with infrastructural facilities for academic, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
On the formation of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in 1971, College of Agricultural Engineering offering B.E. (Agriculture) programme was formed in 1972. The college had the department of Soil and Water Conservation Engineering, Agricultural Structures, Farm Machinery and Power and Agricultural Process Engineering. The B.E. (Ag) Programme was shifted to CAE, Kumulur in the year 1992 vide G.O.M.S. No. 581 dt. 21.09.1992. In the Year 2002 B.E. (Ag) Programme was renamed as B.Tech. (Agrl. Engg.) Programme. In 2014, the M. Tech. and Ph.D programmes in Soil and Water Conservation Engineering and Farm Machinery and Power were shifted from AEC & RI, Coimbatore to AEC & RI, Kumulur.
- Agriculture is the mother of all professions and sustains of human life. Agricultural Engineering, a vital discipline of agriculture deals with application of engineering techniques in agriculture to achieve maximum production by using the available crop production inputs such as man power, materials and money.
- Agricultural Engineering has played a major role in all developed countries, in ensuring timely field operations, effective applications of various inputs, and in reducing the drudgery involved in farm operations.
- Conservation of natural resources, soil and water conservation along with the techniques of augmenting surface and ground water resources for effective utilization in the agriculture is focused by the faculty.
- To meet the demand for technical man power in teaching, research and extension activities of agricultural engineering.
- To provide technical knowledge for the development of agricultural engineering gadgets and agro-based industries in this region.
- To organize research in an inter-disciplinary way for taking up location specific problems of the region.
- To transfer the technologies developed to the farming community, entrepreneurs and industrialists.