The Department of Seed Science and Technology came into existence on 01.04.2010. Previously it functioned as Seed Science and Technology Unit as a University Plan Scheme under the Department of Plant Breeding from 05.04.1981. Crop physiology is a part of the department.
- Promoting the use of quality seeds in Southern Districts of Tamil Nadu.
- To educate SST & CRP courses to undergraduate students in seed science and technology and crop physiology.
- To teach and guide PG students in Seed Science
- To impart knowledge on quality seed production to extension functionaries
- To educate the farmers about the physiological disorders and its management.
- To undertake research in seed science for furthering seed quality
- To produce seeds of agricultural and horticultural varieties released from AC & RI, Madurai.
- Fostering research in climate change, its impact on seed production.
- Improving seeds to suit precision farming.
- Development of suitable molecular markers to identify varieties / hybrids.
- Molecular characterization of primed seeds.
- Development of educational content through book publications.
- Strengthening PG Education.
- Development of diagnostic kit and software for the identification of nutrient deficiency in crops.
- Development of biostimulant tonic to boost flower and vegetable production.
|Name of the Scientist & Designation||Date||Name of the Award||Organization who has given the award|
|Dr. V. Vakeswaran
|16.8.18||Received best oral presentation award||International institute of Knowledge Management , Colombu, Srilanka|
|Dr. K. Sujatha, Professor (SST)
|19.11.18||Received best Tamil book writer award||4th National conference on “Agricultural Scientific Tamil Organised by TNJFU OMR Campus, Vanianchavadi, Chennai held during November 19 and 20, 2018.|
|Name of the Scientist & Designation||Date||Name of the
|Award who has given the award|
|12 &13.8.17||Best oral presentation award||3rd National conference in Tamil held at TNAU, Coimbatore|
|K. Sadasivam (2016611803) &
S. Venketasan (2016611805)
|30 & 31.8.17||–||II.M.Sc (Ag). Students selected and registration charges waived and participated in the Regional workshop on Preventing grain losses: Scientific approach held at TNAU, Coimbatore|
|E. Jalapathi (2016611801)||22 & 23.9.17||Best Poster award||National seminar on” Emerging trends in processing and value addition of small millets “ organized by TNAU, Coimbatore and Dhan foundation, Madurai .|
|S. Venkatesan (2016611805)||25.10.18 and26.10.18||Best poster presentation award||National Seminar on Abiotic Stress Management: Challenges & Opportunities (NSASM 2018) at Department of Crop Physiology, TNAU, Coimbatore – 641003|