The Department of Soils and Environment has its genesis in 1965 with the objective of fostering education, research and extension in the disciplines of Soil Science and Environmental Sciences. The department addresses the soil related constraints and formulates strategies for the Southern zone of Tamil Nadu.
- To offer education in the disciplines of Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry, Environmental Sciences and Biochemistry for undergraduate and post graduate students
- To undertake basic and applied research in the fields of Soil fertility, Soil resource inventory and problem soil management
- To spot out soil related constraints in the southern zone of Tamil Nadu and to formulate strategies for scraping the constraints
- To promote balanced fertilization for sustaining soil health
- To enlighten the farmers on various technologies developed in the department