The NSS unit of Agricultural Science College and Research Institute, Madurai has been involved in service activities in and around the campus. NSS Volunteers were involved in campus development activities, societal developmental activities, dissemination of agricultural technologies to farmers and various service programmes. The following activities were carried out in the NSS unit of the College.
Twenty five personality development programmes were organized for the benefit of the students. Besides, awareness campaign and important day celebrations were also conducted. The programs include, NSS day (24th of each year), International Yoga day celebration (21st June of each year), International youth day celebration (12th August each year), Unity day pledge and Unity run (31st October each year), awareness programme on endangered tree species, birds and animals, traditional art making – jasmine knitting training programme, awareness on personal hygiene to girl volunteers, Dengue awareness programme, Leprosy awareness programme, Awareness rally on eradication of polyethylene, ARISE Youth empowerment programme, , Blood donation camp, Eye and Dental camp for students, General health Camps for students, faculties and other staff members, FIT India Movement, Competitions for students on important occasions etc.
The following Campus development programme were carried out by the NSS Unit
- Massive tree growing programs
As a part of our NSS activity, tree growing is considered as a mandate and essential program. The following activities have been conducted for the past six months.
- Massive tree growing program at CSC & RI, Madurai on 13.7.19.
- 250 West Indian Cherry plants planted in the Amenity Centre, AC & RI., Madurai and Campus premises on 14.9.19.
- Rock garden established near the amenity centre on 14.09.19
- Plantation drive of nearly 200 tree saplings planted in and around the College on 02.10.19
- 200 tree saplings were planted in front of the hostels on both the sides of the road on 19.10.19
- 50000 Neem seeds and 200 Neem balls were supplied by TANSAF and the students of AC & RI., Madurai and CSC & RI., Madurai sowed all the Neem seeds in and around the campus on 19.10.19.
- Totally 1435 saplings (palmyrah, nerium, timber value tree saplings) were planted by the NSS volunteers. Under Ainthinai vanam Project, nearly 350 native forest trees samplings were also planted during the year 2017 to 2019.
- ii) Sanitation: Under the theme “Clean India” “Cleaned the campus premises regularly for weeds and other plastic materials to make our campus clean”. Around 312 NSS volunteers were involved in weeding and cleaning the students’ arboreal garden, hostel premises, children’s park etc. to make the campus neat and tidy.
iii) Awareness Campaign: A human chain campaign related to Vigilance awareness was conducted on 02.11.2019 at Othakadai, Madurai Dist. to organize “Vigilance awareness Week” from 28.10.19 – 02.11.19. Around 300 NSS volunteers participated in the human chain movement and stressed the importance of Anti-corruption.
- iv) Health camp and blood donation
- Blood donationwere given regularly by the NSS volunteers for the emergency cases of our Staff, relatives and in certain cases to the public.
- Health camp organized for the Staff of AC & RI and HSC & RI, Madurai on 07.08.19
- v) Organised important day functions
- Conducted FIT INDIA MOVEMENT function on 29.8.19
- Celebrated NSS Day on 24th September, 2019
- Gandhi Jayanthi celebration on 02.10.19
- National Unity day celebrated on 31.10.2019
- vi) Loranthus eradication programme, Plastic cleaning programme, Mass cleaning, termite control programmes, celebration of plastic eradication week, organizing Vigilance awareness week, establishment of Kadambam tree park, source detection and destruction of Aedes larvae that causes Dengue fever, palmyrah nursery establishment, planting of palmyrah, nerium, medicinal plants, neem seeds in and around the campus etc .
Dissemination of Agricultural technologies and societal programmes:
Twenty programmes were organized on various technologies in adopted villages, viz., Kulamangalam, and Arumbanoor during 2017-18. The following activities were carried out during the special camp. Special lectures and demonstrations on Agriculture and allied activities were arranged to benefit the farmers, women and children in the adopted village. Soil testing, importance of organic farming, demonstration on bee keeping, interactive session on farm mechanization, Demonstration on mushroom cultivation, awareness programme on importance of minor millets and value addition, water saving methods in crop cultivation, marketing of agricultural produces, awareness program on diabetes mellitus, child nutrition, nutritional gardening were organized. Awareness rally on conservation of environment, traffic rules, water conservation etc., was organized in special camp villages.
- NSS camp
Organized NSS Special camp from 25.5.19 -31.5.19 at Kulamangalam village, Madurai District and carried out the following activities.
i)Rally : Rallies on road safety, hygiene, health and anti -tobacco.
ii)Agro- technologies : Various agro-technologies were delivered by the Scientists of AC & RI, Madurai and CSC & RI., Madurai .
- New crop varieties and its significance
- Soil sampling collection and testing
- Importance of biofertilizer, biopesticides and vermicomposting
- Crop protection strategies
- Agricultural implements and its uses
- Value added products in millets
- Adulterations in food
- Marketing of agricultural products
iii)Agri-entrepreneurship activities :
- Demonstration on mushroom cultivation
- Demonstration on bee keeping
- Medical camp – 300 persons benefitted
- Eye camp – 200 persons benefitted
- Veterinary camp
v)Sanitation and Hygiene : Weeding and cleaning the streets, temple and wall painting have been done by the students
vi) Tree sapling planting – 100 Nos distributed to the villagers
vii) Competitions for childrens/educational programmes – for motivation
viii) Cultural programmes