The Community Science College and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Madurai has its origin as Department of Home Science in 1980 at Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai offered B.Sc. Home Science degree. The Food Technology unit at TNAU, Coimbatore started during 1972, later was renamed as Department of Food Science and Nutrition in 1982, which was shifted to AC&RI, Madurai during 1984 to strengthen the B.Sc. (Home Science) degree program. The Institute also offers Masters Degree in Food Science and Nutrition from 1981 which is now offered as M.Sc (Community Science) Food Science and Nutrition and Doctoral programme in Food Science and Nutrition from 1988 onwards. During the year 1999, the three year B.Sc. (Home Science) degree programme was upgraded as a four year professional degree course. The two departments namely Department of Home Science and Food Science and Nutrition functioned at AC&RI, Madurai till 2000. Continuing its path of progress in tune with the latest developments and technologies, it was developed into a full fledged institute named as Home Science College and Research Institute in Madurai during 2000 and presently renamed as Community Science College and Research Institute during 2017 as per the recommendation of the Fifth Deans’ Committee of the ICAR. This institute has emerged as a nodal centre for Education, Research and Extension in five specialized disciplines of Community science namely; Food Science and Nutrition, Human Development and Family Studies, Family Resource Management and Consumer Sciences, Textile Science and Design and Extension Education and Communication Management. In addition, the Department of Differently Abled Studies was established in 2014 as per the UGC guidelines. During 2015, the B.Sc. (Food Nutrition and Dietetics) was introduced based on the ICAR Fifth Deans’ Committee recommendations and to take advantage of the growing prospects in food processing and value addition and for its promising business opportunities. During 2019, two departments namely Food Policy and Public Health Nutrition & Apparel Designing Management has been established.
The vision of the Institute is to provide value based education to instill confidence, independence and professional competence in the youth to meet out the opportunities and challenges in the present era of globalization.
- To provide quality education to make the students technically competent to face the challenges in the chosen field of study and in higher education at National and International level.
- To impart knowledge and skills necessary to work in research laboratories, food industries, health sectors and at the community level.
- To provide entrepreneurial skills for gainful employment to all graduates.
- To promote academic exchange programmes with national and international educational and research institutes.
- The institute works to harness the valuable contributions of the Alumni who are placed in the Government sector, industry, health sector, as entrepreneurs and other private enterprises for strengthening the institute in the areas of curriculum development, entrepreneurial activity, placement, etc.