Food Science and Nutrition
The Institute offers UG, PG and Ph.D. degree programs in Food Science and Nutrition specialization which provides the students in depth knowledge and skills for enhancing employability and entrepreneurship in all areas namely; Food Processing, Value addition, Product Development, Quality Control, Food safety, Nutrition and Dietetics. The Curricula and Syllabi have been revised based on the ICAR guidelines to provide theoretical and practical orientation in tune with the scientific advancements. The research activities in the area of Food Science and Nutrition focus on Processing of Agricultural and Horticultural crops with a need based approach for working out solutions to achieve Food and Nutrition Security. Some of the priority areas of research in the subject are; Post Harvest Technology, New Product Development, Functional Foods, Nutraceuticals, Food Quality and Safety, Therapeutic and Community Nutrition. The research findings are attributed to the research undertaken by the faculty through externally funded projects, research funded by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University and as part of students research. The Institute places equal emphasis in outreach activities aimed at transfer of technology to the food industry, farming community and other stake holders such as; unemployed youth, entrepreneurs with the focus on promotion of food processing and preservation for assurance of nutrition security.
The vision is to provide value based education to instill confidence, independence and professional competence in the youth to meet out the opportunities and challenges in the present era of globalization.
- To provide quality education to make the students technically competent to face the challenges in the chosen field of study and in higher education at National and International level.
- To impart knowledge and skills necessary to work in research laboratories, food industries, health sectors and at the community level.
- To provide entrepreneurial skills for gainful employment to all graduates.
- To promote academic exchange programmes with national and international educational and research institutes.
- The institute works to harness the valuable contributions of the Alumni who are placed in the Government sector, industry, health sector, as entrepreneurs and other private enterprises for strengthening the institute in the areas of curriculum development, entrepreneurial activity, placement, etc.