National Cadet Corps (NCC)
NSS/NCC is included in the curriculum of all the UG programmes. Students will undergo 0+1 course credit registering either for NSS or NCC. The course will be distributed over four semesters for I & II year students. At the end of IV semester volunteers are taken to the adopted village and carry out the special camping activities for a period of one week for completion of the credit requirement. Sixty marks are assigned for regular activities distributed over four semesters and 40 marks allotted for special camping activities.
The National Cadet Corps unit of Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai, in which Community Science College & Research Institute, participate is functioning since 1965. The strength of the unit is 52 cadets and NCC training is offered for three years to the cadets. The name of the college unit is D12 Company which is basically Infantry Battalion, part of the 7 TN BN NCC, Madurai Group and headed by of Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry & Andaman & Nicobar directorate.
B Certificates were received by five boys and 29 girls, while C certificate were received by 10 boys and twenty girls for the period 2014-2019.
Two boys of B.Sc (Home Science) of D/12 coy attended the firing competition at battalion level and got selected for the Group level competition. At group level competition, one of our cadets Mr.Vignesh was selected for the Zonal level shooting competition at ParamathiVelur during May 2015.
One boy won Second prize for the Flag area competition in Hebat 2015, organised by Army wing of St.Joseph’s College, Trichy.
The following programmes were also organised during the reporting period.
Blue Whale Campaign:
- The campaign has been conducted among the students of AC&RI, Madurai & CSC&RI, Madurai against the evil effects of suicidal blue whale game. Since the young students are involving in the internet game, this campaign has brought out importance of NCC to students
Girl Child Awareness Campaign:
- All the cadets willingly participated in the Girl Child awareness campaign as pointed out by the Prime Minister in which the importance and contribution of girl child has been explained among the young couple and also with girl child parents. Six of the cadets have discussed the this topic among the cadets
- All the cadets participated in the mass campaign of Uthiram, Marathon from MMC, Madurai regarding blood donation awareness
Swatch Bharat campaign
- The importance of cleaning has explained to the nearby villages viz., Malayalathanpatti and Kodikulam
Vaccination awareness rally
- The importance of vaccination to the children has been explained to the quarters people and also to nearby villages