Sericulture established in 1980, the department was offering Post Graduate Diploma in Sericulture till 1990 to State Department of Sericulture functionaries as part of Human Resource Development. From 1990, the Department started offering M.Sc. (Ag) in Sericulture. Ph.D. Programme in Sericulture commenced in 2010.
TNAU is the third SAU to offer B.Sc.(Sericulture) degree from 2011. Main focus of the Department of Sericulture is to reinforce the sericultural activities through cost effective technologies for improving the social economic status of sericulture farmers in Tamil Nadu.
Department of Sericulture was shifted to Forest College and Research Institute, Mettupalayam in July 2014 with triple mandate of teaching, research and extension.
- To attain excellence in Sericulture education, research and transfer of technology to the user group for the improvement of their livelihood.
- To import education in the branches of Sericulture and allied activities.
- To evolve high yielding, disease resistant varieties of mulberry and silkworm races.
- To improve the cocoon productivity through innovative scientific technologies.
- To update the knowledge of the farmers in the field of Sericulture sciences through appropriate extension strategies.