The Department postharvest technology of Horticultural College and Research Institute, Periyakulam was established in 2019 and caters to the teaching, research and extension activities. The department offers courses on Postharvest management of horticultural crops, Postharvest technology of fruit crops, Processing of horticultural crops and fundamentals of Food technology for UG and PG degree programmes. The research has been carried out in Postharvest shelf life studies, packaging, storage and value addition of fruits and vegetables. Trainings and demonstrations have been conducting in Postharvest management and value addition in fruits and vegetables to the Self help groups (SHG) and Women entrepreneurs for empowerment.
- Integration of production with post harvest management
- Development of low cost, environment friendly and consumer appealing packaging technologies
- Imparting training to the farmers, entrepreneurs and development department staff to promote agro-processing facilities especially for horticultural produces.
- Design, development and evaluation of packages, low cost post harvest equipment and machinery
- Nutraceuticals and antioxidants in processed food
- Human resource development at Master’s and Doctoral level