National Service Scheme popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Mahatma Gandhi Centenary year 1969 and aimed at developing student’s personality through community service. The overall objective of National Service is educational. This objective is attained through the service to the community.
National Service Scheme (NSS) is a permanent youth Program under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India and funded by Government of Tamil Nadu and Government of India.
The overall objective of NSS is Personality Development through community service. The objectives of NSS are to:
- Understand the community in which they work
- Understand themselves in relation to their community
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process.
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disaster and
- Practice national integration and social harmony
The motto or watchword of the NSS is “Not me but you”. It underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society on the whole. This express the essence of democratic living and upholds the need of selfless service and appreciation of the other man’s point of view and also consideration for fellow human beings.
NSS was formally launched on 24th September 1969, the birth Centenary year of Father of Nation. Therefore, 24 September is celebrated every year as NSS Day with appropriate programs and activities.
- Conducting regular activity for first two years UG student to enhance the campus growth and community growth development
- Conducting NSS Special Camp Programme to develop the NSS volunteers skill and decision making power, leadership quality to the students. During the special camp, Eye camp, Creation of social awareness on road safety, cleanliness, vermi composting, tree planting, etc. are conducted.
- Important days of celebration like International youth Day, Non Violence Day, Women’s Day, Environmental Day, NSS Day, National Unity Day, Independence Day, Republic Day etc.