Horticulture is one of the fastest growing sectors, which shares about 5.5 per cent during the last two decades. This sector has large potential in value addition which generates employment opportunities. Women play a pivotal role in the development of horticulture especially in cultivation of fruits, vegetables and flower crops. They constitute about 60 per cent of horticultural farmers and contribute to the economy of the country. Horticulture sector is moving towards market led horticulture which indicates the income generation through horticultural activities. In Tamil Nadu state, women’s involvement in day to day agriculture is high compared to other states. The empowerment of women in horticulture / agriculture is vital for maximizing the productivity. The technical empowerment of women ensures economic empowerment in long run. Hence, generating a pool of women technocrats with rich diversity of knowledge in high tech horticulture will foster the national economy. Trichy district is endowed with a rich diversity of horticultural crops especially mango, banana, guava, vegetables, flowers and betel vine Hence, Horticultural College and Research Institute for Women HC&RI(W) a constituent college of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University exclusively for women offering B.Sc. (Hons.) in Horticulture Degree was established in the year 2011 at Navalur Kuttapattu, Tiruchirappalli. This college addresses the challenges in research, education, extension and business domain in horticulture.
Development of women technocrats in nutritional and commercial horticulture to achieve high productivity and economic self-sufficiency through education, research and outreach.
Goals and Objectives
- To function as an educational institute to offer B.Sc. (Hons.) in Horticulture Degree programme for Women.
- To meet out the demand for technological manpower of the state and private entrepreneurs in the field of horticulture.
- To organize inter disciplinary research for solving location specific problems for different agro-ecological situations in Tiruchirappalli and adjacent districts.
- To evolve horticultural crop varieties and technologies best suited for salt affected soils.
- To provide technical know-how for the development of horticulture and agro-based industries in this region.
- To organize technology transfer trainings for farmers.
To sustain excellence in low volume, high value horticultural crops for high remuneration to the growers and develop entrepreneurship in horticulture.