|1946||Establishment of Plant Physiology Scheme at the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore|
|1963||Starting of M.Sc.(Ag.) Degree Programme in Plant Physiology|
|1972||Plant Physiology unit under the control of Department of Agricultural Botany|
|1976||Plant Physiology as a full-fledged Department headed by Prof. J. Sakharam Rao|
|1978||Starting of Ph.D. Programme in Crop Physiology|
- Developing students with high caliber and knowledge on recent advances in plant physiology and expertise on latest technologies.
- To develop multinutrient products with plant growth regulators for specific crops to cater the needs of the farming community.
- Offering state of the art UG, PG and Ph.D. degree programmes in Plant Physiology
- Developing crop based eco-friendly nutrio-hormonal formulations and consortia for major crops to increase crop yield and improve abiotic stress tolerance
- Screening crops for abiotic stress tolerance and to develop mitigation technologies
- Imparting training to professionals and transfer of technologies for effective adoption by farmers
- Organising seminars, conferences and workshops at International, National and State Level on the emerging issues in Crop Management.
Our faculty members are highly trained in frontier areas of plant physiology in reputed laboratories abroad. The department has good research collaboration with leading national (DBT, DST, UGC, NABARD and ICAR) and international institutes (NARO, IRRI, Bayer crop sciences, Valagro, Novozyme)
The Department has evolved TNAU coconut tonic and crop boosters addressing the problems related to plant nutrition, abiotic stress and hormonal imbalance in crops. These products are produced and distributed to the farming communities of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Telungana and Andhra Pradesh for the past 15 years.