Genesis of the Research Station
Horticultural Research Station, Yercaud was established in the year 1976 in the Eastern ghats. It is situated at Athiyur village, 3 km away from Yercaud town on Nagalur Road and 35 km from Salem. The farm is located at latitude of 11.4o to 11.5oN. The elevation is 1500 m MSL . The total acreage of farm is 119.05 acres.
- Introduction of different species and varieties of horticultural crops to evolve the performance
- Evolving improved agro-techniques for mandatory crops.
- Evolving agro-techniques for multiple cropping and mixed farming practices in Shevaroys.
- To impart training on subtropical horticultural crops for under graduate students of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.
- To impart training on scientific crop cultivation, mushroom culture, Apiary, bio-agents production and application of bio-control agents to tribal people and farmers of Shevaroy Hills.
- Catering the needs of the farmers in the Shervaroyan hills