The Krishi Vigyan Kendra,Vriddhachalam of Cuddalore District is functioning under the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University from April 1985, with financial assistance of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research. The main role of this KVK is testing and transfer of agricultural technologies to bridge the gap between the production and productivity and to increase self-employment opportunities among the rural communities.
The overall mandate of the KVK is to develop and disseminate location specific technological modules at district level through Technology Assessment, Refinement and Demonstration and to act as Knowledge Resource Centre for agriculture and its allied activities. The specific activities to carry out this mandate are:
- Conducting On Farm Testing to identify the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems
- Organizing Front Line Demonstrations to establish production potential of various crops and enterprises on the farmers’ fields
- Organizing need based training of farmers to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies related to technology assessment, refinement and demonstration, and training of extension personnel to orient them in the frontier areas of technology development
- Creating awareness about improved technologies to larger masses through appropriate extension programmes
- Production and supply of good quality seeds and planting materials, livestock, poultry and fisheries breeds, products and various bio-products to the farming community.
- Work as resource and knowledge centre of agricultural technology for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector for improving the agricultural economy of the district.