- Authority of the KVK’s is vested in the ICAR having it’s headquarter at Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi. The Council is a society registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860 of India.
- The Director General, ICAR and Secretary, Department of Agricultural Research and Education, GOI, is the principal executive of the Council. He is supported by 8 Deputy Director Generals including a Deputy Director General (Agricultural Extension) who is responsible for implementation of the agricultural extension programmes in the counseling and giving advice to him on all policy issues related to extension programmes.
- The DDG (Agricultural Extension) is the head of Agricultural Extension Division of the council which is one of the 8 divisions. The division is responsible for co-ordination of front line extension education programmes of the ICAR at national level. The DDG (Agricultural Extension) is assisted by 3 Assistant Director Generals ( Agricultural Extension) .
- There are 8 zonal coordinating units located in eight zones of the country. Each ZCU is headed by a Zonal coordinator. Coordination and monitoring functions at the zonal level is being performed by the ZC unit.
- The grantee/host institution has to provide overall supervision of the programme in the KVK. The programme co-ordination of the KVK is the principal executive officer of the respective Kendra.
The authority and monitoring mechanism of the KVK, are depicted in the following flow diagram