The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), Coimbatore Tamil Nadu, India, a century years old renowned institution committed for the development of agricultural education. In commemoration of the Centenary year of the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore, during 2005 Open and Distance Learning programmes which is first of its kind in India among State Agricultural Universities were started. A separate Directorate for Open and Distance Learning Programmes was established, during April, 2005 by renaming the Directorate of Publications. At the time of establishment only certificate programmes were offered. During 2007, Post Graduate programmes were introduced .To update the knowledge of the framing community, a unique three years farm science programme in Tamil language was introduced during 2010. During 2014, PG Diploma programmes were introduced. A diploma in Agri Inputs programme was started during 2016, especially to the Agro Input dealers all over Tamil Nadu.
During 2019, number of PG Diploma courses and Certificate programmes were started for the benefit of farmers, youth and agricultural entrepreneurs. All the courses were introduced with need based by the end users.
Vision and Mission
- Imparting technical skill in the field of agriculture
- Confidence building among farming community through knowledge and continuing education
- Entrepreneurship development.
- To offer Certificate, Diploma and PG Diploma programmes through distance education
- Impart practical knowledge and hands on training through personal contact programmes (PCPs) and field visits.