Paddy Experimental Station was established on 22.04.1937 at Ambasamudram. It was the third research station on rice in Tamil Nadu and then upgraded as Rice Research Station, Ambasamudram in 1974. During 1981, Rice Research Station, Ambasamudram was brought under Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. It was established primarily to tackle the problems of rice cultivation in Thamirabarani river ayacut of Southern Tamil Nadu. It is situated near the Western Ghats on the Tirunelveli-Papanasam Road. In its dedicated service to the farming community for the past eight decades, twenty rice varieties and improved production technologies have been provided. ASD 16, a landmark rice variety released in 1986 is still ruling the farmers field of Southern Tamil Nadu. This station was recognized as the “Best Research Station” by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in 1996.