Anbil Dharmalingam Agricultural College and Research Institute (ADAC&RI) is a constituent college of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. It was first started in Kumulur, Lalgudi Taluk of Trichirappalli district with an annual intake of 40 students in the year 1989. Later, the college was shifted to Navalur Kuttapattu, Srirangam Taluk of Trichirappalli District in 1992, to the erstwhile Soil Salinity Research Centre campus.
The Mission of the College is to provide exemplary learning environment and academic activities for transforming students into experts in agricultural technology, research process, transfer of technology and agripreneurship; provide innovative solutions for short term and long term issues in agriculture in this region through research, extension and entrepreneurship.
The college is spread over 30 hectares. The college has five departments viz., Agronomy, Soil Science & Agricultural Chemistry, Plant Breeding and Genetics, Plant Protection and Social Sciences. The college offers one undergraduate programme, B.Sc. (Hons.) Agriculture and Postgraduate programmes in Agronomy, Soil Science, Genetics and Plant Breeding and Entomology. There are 51 faculty members. Besides there are three lab assistants, 18 technicians and 26 provincial skilled mazdoors supporting the administrative, teaching, research and extension activities of the college. The Centre of Excellence on Soil Health and Farm Women Knowledge Centre are also functioning in this College.
To provide exemplary learning environment and academic activities for transforming students into experts in agricultural technology, research process, transfer of technology and agripreneurship; provide innovative solutions for short term and long-term issues in agriculture in this region through research, extension and entrepreneurship.
To make the institute, a premier accredited agricultural education and research centre and provide sustained quality education programmes for human resource development for agriculture sector.
Objectives of the Institute
- To make the college function as a premier educational institute for the undergraduate degree programme [B.Sc.(Ag) / B.Sc (Hons) Agriculture] in agricultural sciences.
- To manage a state of the art agricultural instructional farm to provide the best practical learning experience with the students.
- To help scientists conduct multi-disciplinary research and guide students to do multidimensional research for addressing short and long-term location specific research issues of different ecological situations in Tiruchirappalli and neighbouring districts.
- To implement effective programmes for better technology transfer and adoption by farmers.
- To promote agripreneurship in this region through entrepreneurship development programmes and agribusiness incubation.
- To provide technology for the growth of agro-based industries in this region.