Madurai Agricultural College was started on 17.08.1965 and upgraded to PG centre during 1969. It became a constituent college of the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, after its formation in 1971 and came to be known as Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai in 1980. The campus celebrated its Golden Jubilee during 2015. It is the second largest Agricultural College Campus in Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. The college, has the following departments’ viz., Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural Entomology, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, Agricultural Microbiology, Agronomy, Biotechnology, Horticulture, Plant Breeding and Genetics, Plant Pathology, Seed Science and Technology and Soils & Environment to provide Agricultural Education and also a Krishi Vigyan Kendra in the college campus to disseminate the findings among farmers.
The establishment of the Institute is an important landmark in expanding education as well as scientific research in Agriculture in Southern Tamil Nadu. This Institute has always been an enduring symbol of the best agricultural research and has assiduously maintained the highest standards of academic excellence matching the best in the world. This campus was adjudged as the Best College in TNAU twice during 2002, 2008 and 2017.
The college is situated 12 km (east) from the Madurai City on Madurai-Trichy National Highway and is 5 km away from Mattuthavani Integrated Bus Station. It is placed at the foothills of historical monument Yanamalai, a small rocky mountain, on the western side of the campus. The green and idyllic atmosphere has made the campus a favourite picnic spot for the students of various schools and colleges, in and around Madurai. The campus also has the famous Chittankulam water tank, which attracts birds and remains an undeclared sanctuary for peacock.
- To impart agricultural education and develop agricultural human resources for the country.
- To cater to the needs of the Tamil Nadu farmers, in particular to the farmers of southern districts of the state.
- To conduct research on crop improvement, crop production and crop protection and also to facilitate the spread of improved varieties and technologies from lab to land.
To make the institute, a premier agricultural education and research centre and provide sustained quality education Programs for human resource development in the agricultural sector.
To provide exemplary learning environment and academic activities for transforming students into experts in agricultural technology, research process, transfer of technology and agri-preneurship; provide innovative solutions for short term and long term issues in agriculture in Southern districts of Tamil Nadu through research, extension and entrepreneurship.
Objectives of the Institute
- To function as a premier educational institute for the undergraduate degree Program in agricultural sciences [ B. Sc. (Hons) Agriculture ] and PG degree Programs
- To conduct multi-disciplinary research by scientists and multidimensional research by students for addressing short and long term location specific research issues for different ecological situations in southern districts of Tamil Nadu
- To implement effective Programs for better technology transfer and adoption by farmers and to promote agri-preneurship in southern region through entrepreneurship development Programs and agribusiness incubation.