The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) had its genesis from establishment of an Agricultural School at Saidapet, Madras, Tamil Nadu, as early as 1868 and it was later relocated at Coimbatore.
The Directorate of Extension Education was started in the year 1972 for the planning and execution of programmes of extension work based on the results of research and work in cooperation with the technical Directorates of the University. The Directorate of Extension Education facilitates and executes the Extension Education activities of the University. The Director of Extension Education is the Member Secretary of the Extension Education Council and formulates and present to Extension Council, policies and programmes of Extension Education activities of the University. This Directorate coordinates with the directorates and departments of the University and provides the developed research findings to various stakeholders.
The frontline extension activities are carried out through Department of Training Division, 14 ICAR Krishi Vigyan Kendras of TNAU, Educational Media Centre, e-Extension Centre, Community Radio Station, TNAU Press and through Tamil monthly magazine Uzhavarin Valarum Velanmai.
This Directorate is responsible for organizing State level Farmers’ Day, Large scale demonstrations, Farmers Mela, Exhibitions, Training programmes and Awareness programmes in coordination with the University centers.